Today I went back for my second beta. I was happy to see the nice phlebotomist again and was hoping all the water I'd drank would help my veins be easier to find so we wouldn't have a repeat of Monday. Unfortunately, my usually plump & juicy veins seem to be hiding this week. The nice lady tried three times to get blood out of me and failed. It hurt today because I'm still sore and a little bruised on BOTH arms from Monday. She decided to call over the mean phlebotomist. Nooo! She hates me!
I don't think I mentioned before that the first time I encountered her, she was rude to me because she saw that my lab request came from RSC. She said, "Oh, I went there. They couldn't help me." I told her I was sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is to struggle with infertility. Did she really think that I needed to hear that as I was about to be treated there? Believe me, I get her frustration. I've played the part of the bitter infertile many times before. I just thought it was really unprofessional and rude. When she went to take my blood, she jabbed me pretty hard and then poked around until she hit a vein. Um... OUCH! I really felt like she was taking out her aggression on me and was mad that I might be pregnant soon. I bruised pretty badly from that blood draw, so needless to say, I was not thrilled that she was literally getting another stab at me!
She was nice today. I think she realized I was already sore from Monday and three failed attempts this morning. After letting my arm hang limply and squeezing the heck out of a foam stress ball, she got a smaller needle than the other lady used and was able to get some blood out of me. I was glad that she was nicer this time because I think I would've had to say something if she wasn't. I mean, I don't need that kind of attitude from medical professionals, ya know? She told me my doctor should have results within 4 hours and sent me on my way.
I went to work and was anxious for the call. Dr. H. finally called at around 2:45. She said my hCG level is now 133. Not quite doubled within 48 hours, but she assured me it's nothing to be alarmed over. The doubling is a rule of thumb, and I'm so.close that she's not concerned. I was still a little freaked out. I found a calculator online that said based on my level from Monday and my level from today, my doubling time is 2.25 days, so really I'm only off by about 6 hours. :o) That made me feel better.
They also tested my progesterone level and she said I'm at 40. I guess normal range is between 9 and 46, so Dr. H. was VERY happy with that. She said that everything seems perfect so far and she'll see me on the 19th for my first ultrasound. I'm so excited!
I sent the numbers recap to P in a text message and he replied, "Is that good?" so I told him yes, then he said, "Oh. Well then, woot! You are pretty much going to have to explain everything because I am in the dark!" Haha! I told him all he really needs to know is that things look good. I explained more when I got home from work. He is still convinced there are twins in there. It's not ruled out, so I guess we'll see next week!
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Eek!! So exciting!!! I can't wait till you get to experience that first ultrasound!! It is so amazing!
ReplyDelete