Monday, March 9, 2009

Beta #1 is in!

We were at the lab almost as soon as they opened, but still had to wait for a little while. I already had seen positive results, but was still anxious about the beta numbers. P and I sat reading Entertainment Weekly magazines until my name was called. I wished I'd brought along my book club book. Why do I never remember to bring a book with me to appointments?! Anyhow, it was finally my turn. I was glad that the nice phlebotomist was there this morning. She's the one who took my blood for all the pre-conception labs I had to do since we're using a donor. With her, the draw was quick and painless even though she used a pretty big needle and had to fill 12 vials! When I went for cycle day 3 testing, the lady who was there was not so nice and left me bruised. I did NOT want her jabbing me again. Turns out, maybe I needed to be jabbed! Nice phlebotomist could not find a vein. She poked my usual spot on one arm and nothing... Lucky for me, she didn't just jab it around until she hit blood (like the other chick had done... that frickin' hurt! I'm usually not squeamish about needles & have a high tolerance for pain, but ow!). She tried the other arm... still wasn't finding anything. I had to pump a little stress relief ball and let my arm hang down for awhile. Then she tried smacking me to get one to pop out. Finally she caught sight of a little juicy looking vein and was able to get what she needed. I have NEVER had such a hard time drawing blood. I think maybe I was anxious and all constricted? I dunno...

I was relieved to see a big, flourescent "STAT" sticker she put on my lab forms. Sweet! We should know a.s.a.p. We went home and back to bed. Yes... we were feeling lazy. I have been TIRED and it's P's normal day off so he wanted to sleep in even though he'd already been up. :o)

I woke up before him (had to pee... BIG surprise! Ha!), but came back to bed and read for awhile. Then my phone rang... caller ID says "RSC." Aaahhh! Already? It's only 10 o'clock?! Turns out, my nurse was calling to make sure I'd had blood drawn this morning. "Yes! First thing when they opened!" I told her. She told me she'd call as soon as they had results. Ugh. Back to waiting! But I do love them for checking in on me. RSC is pretty good with that.

So... lounging and reading and playing online to occupy my time until the phone rang again... "RSC" on the caller ID. OMG!! This is it! It was Dr. H and she asked if I was ready for good news. YES! Of course I am! She said, "Congratulations! You are pregnant!" Holy crap. It's real now. The doctor said so. I told her that I'd peed on sticks all weekend and got positives, but still wasn't quite sure what to think. She laughed at me. She it was a great sign that I got a positive at 11dpo. She told me my hCG level was at 72. They want to see at least 25 to confirm pregnancy, so 72 sounds great!

Dr. H said I'd get another lab form to have a second beta on Wednesday. She congratulated me again and told me to just keep doing what I'm doing because it's working! Yay! Then she transferred me to a nurse to schedule my first ultrasound. Our appointment for that is March 19th. I can't wait!

I think that *maybe* this is finally starting to sink in. Wow. I'm pregnant!!!

5 comments:

  1. Eeeeeeeeeekkk!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PRAISE GOD!!! :) Congratulations ... I'm SOOOOO SOOOOO excited for you!!! Yippie :)

    ReplyDelete